Directing Documentary with Claire Dix
11th & 12th February, 1 Weekend
€210 Members / €230 Non-Members
This 2-Day Masterclass, taught by award-winning Director, Claire Dix, is a practical, hands on guide to Directing Documentaries. The course is ideal for both Directors and Producer of non-fiction, and aimed at beginners or those with some experience.
Develop your ability to tell stories through the medium of documentary filmmaking. Learn the background of the genre, techniques and tricks to give your work a more polished, professional aesthetic.
The course consists of a series of hands on workshops followed by specific shooting tasks designed to help you discover your own way of communicating in cinema. The short exercises will be reviewed and broken down in class so that you can chart your understanding and begin to find your own voice.
- What is documentary?
- Discussion and screenings to introduce various documentary styles.
- Discuss storytelling techniques and the importance of visual storytelling.
- Research – the key to successful documentary making.
- Pitching techniques. What will work best for you and your docmentary idea.
- Understanding of camera and sound.
- Getting coverage: Cut-away’s and GV’s
- The Technical Set up for a “Sit-Down” or “Talking Heads” Interview.
Lead Tutor: Claire Dix
Claire Dix is an award-winning filmmaker who has been working over ten years in the industry. Her first feature documentary, Broken Song premiered at the Dublin International Film Festival, where it won the audience award. Claire excels at both documentary and fiction film. We Are Moving – Memories of Miss Moriarty is her most recent film. Funded by the Irish Arts Council, it premiered at the Audi Dublin International Film Festival where it was nominated for a ADIFF Discovery Award. We Are Moving just screened at the Cork Film Festival and will soon be broadcast on RTÉ.
- 11th & 12th February, 1 Weekend
- Saturday 10:30 – 5:30, Sunday 11 – 5:30
- €210 Members / €230 Non-Members
- €100 Deposit
- Filmbase, Temple Bar, Curved street
To book your place on this course, please contact Filmbase Reception on 01 679 6716 and dial 0. For more information on this course, email our Training Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please read our Terms & Conditions before booking a course.
Trailer for “We Are Moving – Memories of Miss Moriarty” from Claire Dix on Vimeo.