Directors & Actors Intensive Lab
Starting Tues 5th April until Thurs 12th May
Directors and Actors Intensive Lab
Aimed at directors and actors working together. This course explores directing and acting drama and comedy with specific regard to working together to deliver the best performance to tell the story. This class meets twice a week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays for three hours over April and May.
Tues & Thurs, 7pm until 10pm
€260 Members / €300 Non-Members
Directors and Actors Working Together
One of the most important aspects of film & TV is directors working with actors.
This course explores directing and acting drama and comedy with specific regard to working together to deliver the best performance to tell the story.
It will cover useful directing/acting tools and techniques, analysis of scenes and discussions on holistic filmmaking all related to on-the-job real world experience.
From short films to sitcoms, the tutor will give insight into his own work and what he learned from bringing an idea through writing and production to broadcast/screening.
Throughout the course directors and actors will partake in exercises and workshops to get hands on practice of the process of working together and learning from each other.
Course content will include:
• Filmmaking as Communication – the filmmaker/audience relationship and the director/actor relationship
• Script analysis / scene analysis / performance analysis
• Comparing and contrasting the director’s and the actor’s viewpoint on a scene
• Importance of clarity – using comedy as a model
• Practical scene work – with both directing actors and actors directing
• What is the camera? How framing and editing effects story
• Staging, blocking and visual storytelling
• In search of the “truth” in performance – examining different acting methods
• The director as facilitator
• Objective directing/acting and is “getting what you want” what you really want?
• Demystifying the process and learning not to hide behind the camera
Tutor: Jason Butler
Jason Butler is a writer, director and producer. He produced, directed and co-wrote the new hit RTÉ 2 sitcom “Bridget & Eamon”.
Previously he was Series Producer of “Republic of Telly” for 2 series and Assistant Producer for 6 series of the flagship RTÉ 2 comedy series. On “Republic of Telly” he wrote, directed, shot and edited the comedy sketches including VTs with Damo & Ivor, The Rubberbandits and viral hits such as Orchestra Hidden Camera Prank (1.5m views on Youtube).
He has directed a feature length sci-fi project “Collider” for BeActive Media which was nominated for an International Digital Emmy (2014). His co-written and directed web series “Butchers” was funded by the RTÉ Storyland scheme in 2010. He has written and directed several short films including “TUFTY” (funded by Filmbase/RTÉ) which screened at dozens of festivals worldwide and earned him several awards including the Kinsale Shark for Best New Director (2009).
He has won the Variety “Pitch me” award at Cannes Film Festival (2000) and the Screen International Oscar Moore Award for New European Screenwriting (2002) then Europe’s largest screenplay award.
- April 2016, Dates: 5th April until 12th May, Tuesdays & Thursdays
- 7.00pm – 10.00pm
- Participants should set aside two to three hours per week outside of class time for writing
- €260 Members / €300 Non-Members
- €150 Deposit
- Filmbase, Temple Bar, Curved street
To book your place, contact Filmbase Reception on 01 679 6716 and dial 0. For more information, email Lynn at email@example.com. Please read our Terms & Conditions before booking a course.