Filmbase/Setanta Sports Short Documentary Awards 2008
(Please note that the application deadline for this one-off scheme has passed)
Setanta Sports and Filmbase are delighted to launch a new sports documentary scheme for new and emerging Irish filmmakers. This award scheme will provide funding for three ten minute documentaries which will screen as part of the new Sport Matters series to be broadcast on Setanta from January 2009.
The scheme is aimed at uncovering new talent and encouraging a fresh approach to sports documentary. It will also act as a training ground for filmmakers in the early stages of their careers.
Applicants are invited to submit proposals on one of four general themes, corresponding to the relevant topics for the Sport Matters series. The scheme welcomes a wide variety of approaches to the suggested topics and surprising or unusual treatments of the subject matter are encouraged.
Applications will be initially assessed on the basis of a script/treatment. A shortlist of approximately ten projects will be selected and invited for interview. Following the interviews up to three successful applicants will be offered an award.
For more details about the scheme see below:
- The application deadline is 5pm Tuesday 15th July 2008. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Applications will only be accepted 2 weeks prior to the deadline (from Tuesday 1st July 2008).
- Applications should be accompanied by an application form and must be based on one of five specific topics (see below for a list of topics).
- Each award will comprise of a cash award of approximately €10,000 – €15,000. Some awards may be higher or lower at the discretion of the panel.
- Projects submitted should be pitched at the award scheme with a duration and production values so that the film can be completed with the finance and production package available.
- All projects must be fully completed and delivered to broadcast requirements by December 5th 2008. Applicants who cannot make delivery in that time frame are requested not to submit to this round of the scheme as completion in time for the broadcast schedule is a prerequisite for the award.
- Awards are made to the Production Company.
Topics for 2008
Applicants are invited to submit on any of the following subject areas:
- Horse Racing – Galloping to nowhere? Has flat racing lost its popularity in pursuit of excellence and the national hunt its excellence in pursuit of popularity?
- Charlton’s Children – Are GAA heartlands producing the soccer stars of tomorrow as witnessed by the changing accent of our national football team?
- Munster Rugby – Is rugby in Munster really the ‘people’s game’ or just a brand?
- Women’s Participation in Sport – No more heroes anymore – why young girls won’t find sporting female icons on Irish television.
Applicants are invited to be inventive with their approach to the suggested topics. Applicants may submit projects in more than one category.
(Please read the following guidelines carefully)
- Two copies of the script/treatment along with any supplementary information and one copy of the completed application form should be submitted to the Filmbase Office during the application period. (Please see below for details regarding the application period and to download the application form).
- Projects should be approximately 10 minutes in duration.
- Applicants for the award must be fully paid up members of Filmbase as of the deadline.
- If the applicant is not the author of the script/treatment they must verify copyright ownership of the project (proof of this will be required if called for interview).
- Scripts/treatments must not be bound and should be stapled in the top left hand corner.
- Applications will not be returned.
- Full-time students are ineligible.
- Award winners must not apply to Setanta Sports or Filmbase for any additional funding for their project.
- All applications will be read and a shortlist drawn up of approximately ten projects. The shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview at Filmbase with their production team.
- All projects must be completed to broadcast standards by December 5th 2008.
- Setanta Sports reserves the right to two standard broadcasts in the Republic of Ireland of the finished film as per the contract. Filmbase will hold onto non-exclusive webcasting rights.
The above information is provided as a guideline, full and final requirements will be outlined in the contract supplied to the successful applicants on receipt of an award.
Application Form & Deadlines
The deadline for applications is 5pm Tuesday 15th July 2008.
Applications will only be accepted 2 weeks prior to the deadline, this means applications submitted before the 1st July will not be accepted. All applications must be received in hard copy, emailed or faxed applications will not be accepted.
All applicants must complete the following application form and include it along with two copies of their script/treatment.
Filmbase/Setanta Sports Short Documentary Awards App. Form 2008 (pdf)
Filmbase/Setanta Sports Short Documentary Awards App. Form 2008 (word)
Please read the above application guidelines before submitting an application for the award.
Applicants are welcome to download the application guidelines as outlined above.
If you require further information about the Filmbase/Setanta Sports Short Documentary Awards please contact Clare at Filmbase by email on email@example.com (include ‘Awards Query’ in the subject line).