Visual Storytelling: A Workshop for Directors, Writers & Producers
TBC, 1 Weekend
€220 Members / €250 Non-members
This two-day workshop with director and writer Josh Appignanesi (The Infidel; Song of Songs) aims to help emerging filmmakers by addressing in richly practical detail the fundamental questions of visual storytelling.
How do you tell a visual story? Which shots do you choose to tell your story with? Who do you put on screen, how you depict them, when, and why? What does it mean to tell a story cinematically? Generously interspersed with clips and practical storyboarding exercises, this workshop will help you develop your directorial identity and achieve your directorial vision by giving you an expert-led grounding. While particularly of interest to directors, this course will also be useful for writers who are developing screen projects and for creative producers.
- The choices that go into telling a story your way: framing, composition, blocking actors and mise-en-scene, background, palette, costume, lenses, light, and camera movement.
- How to create suspense and involvement in the edit by arranging your various shots in narrative relation to each other
- How to build a coherent economy of images that build tellingly into an involving visual story
- How to exploit the audience’s sense of ‘genre’ – that is, their anticipation of certain story forms that emerge from certain visual grammars we’ve seen before – and use it to your ends.
- How to apply these ideas practically in your prep and on set, so that you get the shots you want as well as the coverage you need.
Participants will be invited to bring along copies of their own work for feedback, although this is not a requirement for the course.
Tutor: Josh Apignanesi
Josh Apignanesi co-wrote upcoming rom-com All Roads Lead to Rome starring Sarah Jessica Parker and Paz Vega. He has previously directed the indie comedy feature The Infidel, scripted by David Baddiel and starring Omid Djalili, Richard Schiff, Matt Lucas, Archie Panjabi, Miranda Hart, distributed globally to acclaim and awards. Song of Seas, Josh’s debut feature as writer-director garnered awards at Edinburgh and London, and earned a BIFA nomination.
Josh has also directed talent such as John Malkovich, Tom Hiddleston, David Tennant, Sarah Kestelman and Michelle Dockery working across shorts and commercials. Currently, Josh is completing The Creative Life, a feature-length creative documentary about parenthood produced by Mia Bays (Scott Walker, Backstreet Boys), among other developments.
Having taught and mentored at Guardian Masterclasses, London Film School, Arista, Script Factory, Film London’s Microwave, and the Met Film School, Josh is repped by the Verve Talent Agency in the US and by Sayle Screen in the UK.
- €220 Members / €250 Non-Members
- €100 Deposit
- Filmbase, Temple Bar, Curved street
To reserve your place on this course, please contact Filmbase Reception on 01 679 6716 and dial 0. For more information, email our Training Department at email@example.com. Please read our Terms & Conditions before booking a course.